Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti

I couldn't go through this day without thinking about and praying for the people of Haiti.  I have chosen not to watch the news, but have done a good bit of reading of news and commentary.  I am deeply sadden by some of the things I've read (those who believe we shouldn't help; Haiti "got what it deserved") as well as thankful for all those who believe it is our responsibility to assist, help, send aid, pray, volunteer, etc. I've received plenty of emails and other notices, as I'm sure many of you have too.

I've decided to share, here, a bit about Haiti, that I didn't know myself.  Growing up  in the United States, I have learned that if I really want to know something about myself, my heritage, another's heritage or history--other than the dominate culture's, I have to go in search of it.  It's not found neatly in the standard history books and if it is, there is a good chance it's not being told by the people who actually experienced it.

Haiti was the world's first independent Black republic. Haiti's former slaves took on Napoleon and declared their independence from France in 1804, decades before the U.S. and the rest of the Western Hemisphere would end slavery. In those years, the small island nation was seen as a thorn in the side of its neighbors in the Americas and Europe. With their act of defiance, Haitians proved that Black people could govern themselves at a time when leaders of the world's most powerful countries considered Africans and African descendants less than human.

My prayers go out to all the people who live there, have family members there, are rushing in to help and give care.  No person or people "deserve" ill will, deserve harm to their bodies and loss of everything near and dear to them.

I ask that you join me in prayer, positive thoughts, but don't stop there. Find ways that you can help.  I'm in the process of doing that right now with my husband (we've raised money to send at his high school) and also checking into purchasing basic supplies to send in shoeboxes (like we done in the past for our troops and people in Africa).

And while you're being thankful for what you have and the children in your lives, say a special prayer for the children of Haiti who have lost the life that they've known.

Thank you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails