Sunday, December 6, 2009

The 'Perfect' Gift


Earlier in the year I took the Handmade Pledge with regards to purchasing things.  The idea is to support those who sell handmade items. I think it's a great idea and if done thoughtfully promises the receiver a wonderfully unique and special gift.  This year I won't be purchasing handmade, but rather will be making them with my own hands.

I've spent the past few days thinking about what handmade items I'll be giving for this holiday season. I've looked through a host of Etsy.com stores. Read through lots of crafting sites/blogs to get a sense of what others are giving/making this year. I even took a view through some handmade YouTube videos. After looking at what I've previously made and given over the years (knitted scarves, blankets, quilts, aprons) I've been looking for something that will be useful as well as pretty--something worth getting! ;-) No need to add to the clutter and unwanted items we all seem to have around the house!

Well, the other day I finally came upon something that speaks to all my objectives: 1) it keeps me within budget, 2) it is handmade, 3) it uses recycled items (an added bonus!) and 4) it has the potential of being the 'perfect' gift!! There is only one problem--I can't share what it is.

Several of my family members and friends who are on my holiday gift giving list have now started reading my blog. While I am very thankful for this it now poses a few issues. LOL. I don't want to spoil things for them! Nor do I wish to get the "don't worry about me this year" call/email/text. (smile)

But since I'm so excited about it, I'll be taking photos and taking notes so that I can share once the gifts have been given. Part of the fun in making gifts is seeing people's reaction to what you've made just for them! The other part is actually taking the time and using one's hands.

I am thankful that I have family and friends who appreciate a handmade gift. I'm so looking forward to sharing what I'm doing with the rest of you here. I will keep you posted!!!! (smile)

Until then...check out the link upon. Perhaps you'd like to take the Handmade Pledge yourself!

(I found the image above on Google.) 

3 comments:

Milk and Honey Mommy said...

Leslie,

Every present under our tree this year will be handmade. I've opened my sewing machine and have been crafting and creating. I'm excited to see my children's faces. I've even managed to figure out how to make a few handmade toys.

Kelly said...

I'm not sure I'm ready to take the Handmade Pledge, but I do enjoy making gifts. And, this year I too have found the perfect Handmade gifts!!

Thanks for reminding me how rewarding it is to give "created" gifts!

~Leslie said...

@Milk & Honey--How wonderful! I'd be interested in the handmade toys you've crafted!

We've been doing this in our immediate family since we had our first child, seven years ago now. But I've just started including extended family and friends little by little. Ideally, I'd like to either make all or purchase only handmade items. ;-)


@Kelly--hopefully we haven't found the same thing! lol!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails