I always look forward to doing the *8 Things lists. Today is no different. With the economy as it is and people beginning to realize that they have to live the rest of the year, gift giving during the holidays has definitely changed. This is not all bad, in my opinion. We get to be more creative and gifts have the potential to be more meaningful to the giver as well as the receiver. Rachelle has come up with a great list for gifts one can give on a tight budget. I'm taking a few moments to think about some gifts that differ from her list. This may be more difficult than I thought. Heck, who am I kidding? I've been giving like this for years! LOL!
My *8 Generous Gifts List
- Give a 'certificate' to a mom for an afternoon/evening/night out--free babysitting!! (we mothers will LOVE this!)
- Bake loaves of bread (banana, nut, pumpkin, wheat, etc.) to give.
- Share your favorite cookies along with their recipes.
- Make your holiday cards adding personal touches for each receiver.
- Hand write a letter/love note telling what you like/love about him/her. (Remember when this was the thing?! )
- Give handmade gifts--knitted, crocheted, sewed, quilted, cross-stitched, painted, "scrapbook-ed," baked, colored, etc. etc.
- Offer to teach one of your friends and/or their children a skill or something you're good at. I'm sure there is something that you do that they'd be interested in learning--photography, graphic design, knitting, painting, sculpting, speaking another language, etc.
- Get a group of family and friends together and go volunteer at a local shelter together over the holidays. Isn't this time about giving? How better than to give to others WITH your loved ones!
Are you planning to work out or start a path to a healthier you? You are probably not the only one. Give the gift of being someone's partner in this. Whether it is speaking over the phone to touch base and give encouragement to actually walking together or going to the gym together, this is an invaluable gift!
So hopefully this has given you some good ideas! I'm interested to seeing what you've come up with. Go to Rachelle's blog, Magpie Girl, to find out more about *8 Things, grab a button, and play along!
Happy Gift Giving!!