Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Our Yard/Garden

For the past two days we've spent the entire afternoon [well, once we've gotten home from the morning activities we've had this week] IN THE YARD!  The weather has been purr-fect for this!! It's been in the mid to upper 60's!  The air is so fresh, birds can be heard and seen flying overhead.

I've checked out a dozen or so gardening books from the library, making lists, circling seeds/plants I want to get in catalogs, and dreaming of what the late summer and fall will be--for our garden, that is.

I took some before photos, as there is a lot of work to be done in this backyard area.  Let me say here that I am not afraid of work!!  The previous occupant was definitely a gardener, and from what I can tell, had a dream for this space as well.  It is taking me some time to figure out just what that plan/dream was, but I'm learning as we clear out the space of leaves.  [There are SO MANY leaves!]


Clearing out the old tomato raised bed

Leaves everywhere; remnants of last year's gardening

All sorts of things....trying to make sense of it! :D

Along the perimeter of the yard are planted some type of evergreen tree and another time of tree/bush that I haven't been able to identify yet, in a nice little pattern.  It appears that there were raised beds (without definition) all throughout the yard.  I've counted 18 of these raised beds--most all of them had something growing in them last season. There were several varieties of peppers when we moved in and tomatoes.  Then there are two large enclosed planting spaces--enclosed meaning with wood trim and chicken wire.

I have identified the blueberry bushes that have been planted between some of the 'raised beds' and there is a rather LARGE composting area.  Ideally, I'd like to move it to the back corner of the yard--I've already started another small pile back there.  I'll need the hubs assistance with this, so for now, it will remain where it is.

We talked about where to place things, taking into consideration which areas will have more sun/shade than others.  In cleaning up the yard (there was so much trash!) we found a lot of garden decorations.  Some we'll use again, others are not in any condition to be called decorations! lol

The boy found a worm--which is a wonderful sign!


A worm!

The girls spent more time playing with the puppies (which will be leaving for forever homes soon).


Doing her best to keep one

Aren't they adorable?!


So after two late afternoons of raking leaves, picking up trash and other debris this is how things are starting to shape up:


This is a 'sectioned' area that had a variety of tomato plants

Leaves in large pile next to composting area (surrounded by tree stumps/logs)


We are definitely going to plant vegetables; the girls want a butterfly garden (I do too), and herbs are on the list as well.  I'm thinking that I'll do them in containers on the deck.  Then there's the Koi pond to get up and running.  Yes, it's a lot, but I'm thrilled!!  The sun and fresh air, working and dreaming have truly awakened my soul!  Spring is just around the corner!!!!

That's our update for now---heading back outside! :D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...it's so amazing to see spring like weather. Our yard is still under snow that comes up to my waste. Not sure we'll be doing yard clean up any time soon. Enjoy though...looks great. And I agree - a butterfly garden is wonderful. We've been working on one for a couple years now. xo

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of your finished garden. I'm sure it's is going to be gorgeous. I should try again this year, but I have horrible luck when it come to gardening.

Oh, and the puppies...swoon. Could they be any cuter? I think not!!

christina said...

just stopping in to thank you, for your kind words, when i needed them most.
xo

Milk and Honey Mommy said...

Leslie,

It looks like you have a great area to start working on a garden. I'm tempted to start raking leaves and prepping the ground, but I want to be sure the snow is finished.

The dogs are cute. It does look like your daughter is workin' it? Are you gonna budge? Again, I'm reading your posts out of order. What's wrong w/me?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails