Sunday, January 25, 2015

Weekly Intentions :: A Practice

Hello there.

As I give myself time to reflect on the week gone by and look at this new week coming, I am encouraged that this little intention setting practice has taken hold for me. Last Sunday I shared a little bit from a friend about his take on intentions.  I've been thinking about it more and want to further hone just what this practice is for me, and perhaps, for any of you who are considering it or doing it already.

Setting intentions--the act and practice of it--is nothing new. Even writing them down and posting them where they can been seen by you is something we're all familiar with. Going a step farther to share them with another for accountability and feedback is also common place. This practice that I've been cultivating here on the blog is about this--but not only this.  It's also about learning to keep my word to myself.  I am important. The people in my life are important. The things I want to involve myself in along with the things I want to create and learn--all hold spaces on the list of my priorities. By being intentional each week and honoring the things that rate for me, my time and my family, I'm purposely teaching myself that I matter and that keeping the promises I make to myself is paramont.

I'm sure we all can attest to a time when we've put OUR wants/needs/desires on the back burner for someone else. There are definitely times when this is necessary and expected, especially as mothers of young children. But this need not become a default mode. It's too overwhelming and the consequences of not caring for and attending to ourselves are too great.

I'm beginning to see my friend's point about intentions not really mattering if you never get around to doing any of them--if there is always reason or excuse why you were unable to fulfill them. Lists are nice to create but that's not the point either. I'm encouraged to continue in this practice with the focus being on keeping my promises to myself. My hope is that one of you is able to find encouragement in your practice by changing your focus a bit too.

Last week I was able to get to most everything on my list. I did not make the time to complete the hats I had wanted to. I did work on one though.



These are the promises I'm making to myself this week:

  • Read--I have received so many good book recommendations that I need to stop accepting them for a while (smile). I'm thankful that my library holds many of the titles I'm looking to read.
  • Write--Last week I started on scheduling in dedicated time to give to writing. I have a meeting scheduled this week with my writing partner--another layer of accountability--and hope to flesh it out a bit more.
  • Rest--I am a night owl. There is no getting around that. But finding a resting rhythm that works is key. I've been napping in the evening and that has really been helpful. I will continue this.
  • Quiet, meditative, contemplative time--Over our 'Winter Break' I was able to regularly be in this space alone daily. While I cannot always get 'away' or be on vacation, I can find time each day for this. I need it.
  • Begin new unit studies with the children--we will be doing several studies that all begin this week. I will share in a seperate post on the specifics on this.
  • Garden Planning--for those of you who garden, you know that this is the time to get started. I have already been collecting my containers, have some seeds from last year's crops to use. The children and I will be doing some prep work this week. I'll be looking through my Pinterest Boards for the saved resources and might come up with a new thing or two for this year's gardening experience.
  • Complete two hats--I've already begun one, so finishing up that one and then starting and finishing another. 

What promises to yourself are you making today that you'll fulfill by week's end? Take a moment to write them down. I invite you to share one or two below. I'd love to encourage you as you encourage me.

We'll meet here again next Sunday to check in.

Be well.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails