Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Progress: Phonics, Reading & Writing

We have been consistent with the phonics lessons, although I have added my own activities and words (to expand what is given in the Saxon Phonics lessons & to relieve us, both, of the standardization of things). Primarily, we've added a list of sight words, pronouns and family names (I, me, you, he, she, and, the, it of, on for. said, Mommy, Daddy, Aunt, Uncle, etc.).  We've practiced reading them as well as writing them (reading & writing to hand in hand).

Kanga (the nickname my oldest gave herself for online usage--from Winnie the Pooh) has really run with things over the past two weeks.  This is her time.  I'm trying to balance giving her all she can handle without overwhelming her.   The teacher in my is definitely excited and wants to provide her with as many opportunities as I can to read!  The mommy in my is extremely proud and wants to let her find her way--to blossom on her own.

(Homeschooling allows me this time--this no-pressure-be-the-best-you-can-be-on-your-terms-time.)

I'm listening to her--her words, her body language--watching her attention span, her interests and making materials available for her (books, note pads, pencils, pens) so she can continue to pursue this reading (and writing) thing.  She is finding her joy in learning!

Did I mention I am extremely proud of my little Kanga??!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails