Monday, March 1, 2010

One Small Change: March

Today begins a new month and with that another small change for our lives in making our environment better.  I've been thinking all morning about just what it will be.  In the past week I've read about what others are doing (over at One Small Change) as well as the other blogs on sustainability I read.  It's really exciting to see what everyone is doing.  Each thing is simple enough.  It really only takes a change in perspective.

I was talking to my dh over the weekend, telling him about this challenge and what things specifically I'm hoping that we'll do (getting his support, mainly--he's ALL in, by the way!).  So, this month my small change is stop purchasing items that are individually wrapped.  When I think about all the wrappers and plastic containers, juice boxes, etc. that we're adding to the trash (we do our best to purchase things that can be recycled) it's amazing!  Specially, no more individually wrapped granola/break-type bars, no more snack size bags of pretzels/chips, no more individually prepared juice boxes/containers.

This will definitely require me to be more thoughtful in planning because this kind of stuff is MADE for convenience.  However, I really want to make this change.  I've also been reading about how plastic isn't the best thing for food storage.  Hmph.  I'm going to take this thing one step at a time. 

I'm planning to make my own granola bars using a few recipes, one that Debbie shared, at The Loving Path and two others I found in a cook book.  I stopped purchasing granola bars last month when I read on Debbie's post about all the trash.  I hadn't really thought about it like that.  But we really enjoy them in my house and on a monthly basis we consume several boxes.  Making them ourselves will be fun, healthy and lessen our amount of trash.  My plan for the other snacks will be to purchase larger bags and divide them into smaller containers for my children.  I'll do the same with the juice, either using some sort of reusable bottle or just carry a jug with cups.  I think we can handle that!

Have you been thinking about making some changes to better your life, your children's, our world?  Take a look at One Small Change and see what others are doing.  I invite you to join in this month.  It's just one...small...change.  We can do that! :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Giving up juiceboxes would be hard with babies still in the house!

My teens have long outgrown juiceboxes, but we still have lots of wrapped snacks in the house. I've made reusable baggies, but they kids have been a little resistant to using them - too much risk of public embarressment in the lunchroom. However,since there aren't any more plastic baggies in the house, and none of the four are willing to drive over to WalMart and fork over their own money for baggies, I think their reluctance will quickly fade!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails