Thursday, February 7, 2008

Imagination is GREAT!

One of the great things I enjoy about being at home with my children and not being on anyone else's schedule is the freedom that it allows them to play and use their imaginations! Yes, they love to watch a good video and I must admit that in times when I'm feeling a bit "pushed over the edge" I do give in...but on most days I direct them to playing!



Over hearing the stories that they create while playing for hours is such an interesting part of the day. Now I don't always listen in...this is when I can get some reading in (I do a lot) but when I pause for a moment to check on them, the stories they're creating are simply amazing. Sometimes they use things we've read about or talked about. Perhaps something they are interested in or saw me or their father doing/saying. Their stories take them so many places and amazingly they don't need a lot of toys/stuff. Simple props like a blanket, scarf, teddy bear, pillow, daddy's shoes, my purse, bowl, dirt, water all these become new things in their imaginative play.



I am thankful that they enjoy this and can "be in their own worlds" for a while without interruption. When I don't interrupt they can play for hours--literally--and are very disappointed when things must come to an end (i.e. it's getting dark outside, it's time to eat, we have to go pick up daddy). I know that all this time helps them learn more about themselves, each other and the world around them.



As I type both girls are involved in detailed play with legos (aren't they great?!). I guess I'll let them play until they ask the eat...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails